Monday, May 31, 2004

Heard too late

I was reading Isaiah again this morning. What a fascinating book! And I tried to imagine what Isaiah looked like. I see him as an imposing figure, tall and lean with long hair and a well-trimmed beard. His eyes are dark and pierce deep into mine. I see that he carries a staff and he plants it firmly on the ground as he speaks, accenting his words by pounding the staff onto the ground. And when he speaks, his voice is deep and penetrating, the words clear and unmistakable.

Yet, Isaiah and his words were never heard until it was too late, until Israel had taken the path that led to ruin. Now I read Isaiah’s words and wonder why he wasn’t heard? Was he really only a short, fat and bald figure of a man? His voice, was it high and squeaky? And his staff? Was it simply a cane? I don’t suppose that it matters at all, and if I need to know the answer, I will ask him when I see him in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment