Friday, December 31, 2004

Are We Stingy?

The New York Times > Opinion > Editorial: Are We Stingy? Yes

Oddly enough, when I first read of the flap caused by Mr. Egeland's statement, my first thought was "Right on! Telling the truth..." And then Mr. Egeland was obviously forced to reconsider his remarks. Politics, perhaps? Perhaps he liked his job and wanted to keep it?

Facts are facts and the fact is, as a world class government, we are the stingiest. We rank lowest among industrialized nations on the percentage of GNP given as aid. End of story! That's a fact! Get over it...it has always been this way. But American's, as private citizens, as fellow human beings, are generous and always have been.

If the Administration had been smart, which they aren't, they would never have responded to Mr. Egeland's comments and would have let our actions tell the story. Now, the world can only wonder why we doth protest a bit too much.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to tear into you but it hit me your problem is pathological.

    I will only ask you one question. What dollar figure would you put on the life of the American Service member who has died in defence of another nation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea of what you are talking about...My posting concerned aid. $$$. Money. Dollars. And it criticized the current administration's handling of that money. Broken promises and lies...

    And as a veteran myself, I have every right to criticize whomever and whenever I wish...Don't even try to give me any more of those kind of comments! You're filtered!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy discourse...but have no patience for those who are simply rude.

    ReplyDelete