Wednesday, December 15, 2004

FCC to Allow Wireless Access on Planes

Yahoo! News - FCC to Allow Wireless Access on Planes

I am so glad that flying (for me) is history! It was bad enough having to spend a couple of hours in the terminal while listening to a cacophony of cellphone chatter. I can't even imagine a 4 hour flight with a crowd of those idiots...

The FAA's concern stems from whether airborne cell phone calls could interfere with a plane's navigation and electrical systems, agency spokeswoman Laura Brown said. The technology used on seatback phones causes no such interference.

I still have a problem believing this old story about possible interference with aircraft systems. Imagine that you are a pilot and you have 200 people on board. Now if you thought that an errant cellphone might endanger your aircraft, would you allow anyone to board the plane unless they were searched for phones? Knowing human nature...someone is bound to leave one on. How do I know? Because I have done it myself; forgetting that it was on and sleeping through the safety announcements. (You tend to do that after your 300th flight.)

No comments:

Post a Comment