Friday, January 7, 2005

Target Zero

The New York Times > Opinion > Editorial: The Election's Last Gasp

Well stated...both sides deserve better than what we get. I simply have no patience for those who insist that it is difficult to produce a paper trail for electronic voting machines. Diebold, the leading manufacturer of those machines and the one with all of the excuses, also makes cash registers. The last time I looked at my paper receipt from Safeway, it told me how many dollars I would have to spend to get my next free latte and how much it was going to take off the pump price at the gasoline station next door. It even included a line..."Thank You, Mr. Dunn" And Diebold doesn't know how to do this simple thing?

When I was working for PCI, the largest interior contractor in the USA, we had a program called "Target Zero" and it was in place to ensure that we had no recordable accidents in the workplace. Guess what...it works! And our insurance rates dropped to reflect that. So why can't we have a "Target Zero" for our votes? Every vote gets counted. Period. No mistakes.

The fact that Washington state counted the votes 4 times and came up with 4 completely different numbers is a crime...

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%, Given the technology the Credit card companies have paper trails for votes should be simple.

    We certianly are no longer in the position to lecture other nation for sure.

    ReplyDelete