Monday, February 21, 2005

What's Cookin?

When I retired in January of 2004, I took on the nightly task of making dinner for the two us. It has been over a year now since that practice began and we are still fairly healthy and I get few complaints from the customers. It has been a learning process and therefore it has been painful at times. For both of us…though as a rule, most people are smart enough to never complain directly to the cook. Faint praise will sometimes get the point across that the meal was less than what was expected. Ouch!

I was reminded of just what I didn’t know about cooking last Saturday when I decided to make some cookies from a recipe I saw in the Bee…Great recipe…bad cookies. They were flat, very thin and tasted sort of odd. Of course I made the whole batch, trying all sorts of timing and temperature tricks to improve their looks. Then, as I was putting the dishes away after cleaning up, it came to me…I put the beaters away, the mixer and cookie sheets, the measuring cup and teaspoon. Teaspoon? Oh no! I had ASSUMED that the measure I held in my hand was a ½ teaspoon measure and I had filled it twice with baking soda and with salt.

I found it amazing that such a small mistake had made such a big difference. Compare the volume of salt and soda to the volume of flour and sugar and you would think that a little more of each couldn’t hurt…I’m sure there is a good scripture lesson in this somewhere.

To be honest, before I learned of my mistake, Laurae had volunteered that she thought that there wasn't enough flour in the recipe and that was the reason for the failure...Hey! Sounds good to me!

(Talk about irony! I write paragraph 3 and then go on to write paragraph 4...didn't I learn anything?)

No comments:

Post a Comment