Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Memories

After my last post I saw that my Scroll Lock light on the keyboard was lit. Scroll Lock? When was the last time I used that function? And why is it still on keyboards? I used to use it with early spreadsheets, such as Symphony; the precursor to Lotus 123. I decided to look at my keyboard again and see if there are any other keys that might be unnecessary. Hmmm! What’s that Pause/Break key used for? And what did it used to be? Back in the days of DOS, every key was used to navigate through that black and white world. And you could do Keyboard Mapping, giving new assignments to the keys. Sometimes I miss that feeling of being in control of my computer; a feeling that only the DOS command language can give you…

That reminded me and so I went to Run and typed in cmd and pressed Enter. There it is! The back door to my computer. I typed in dir and now, in beautiful white letters on a black screen, the contents of my c drive are revealed. How very cool. In my library I have an old book entitled “Voodoo DOS”, but I think I should leave it on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment