Sunday, March 13, 2005

Mike

I have been reading quite a bit lately and one of the books that I am currently enjoying is entitled Stories of Emergence, a compendium of stories by various Christian authors. Mike Yaconelli was the general editor of this book and it was his name that drew me to it. Mike died in an automobile accident a couple of years ago and the world is poorer because of that loss. I suppose Mike’s name is more properly “Michael”, but after reading his books, I can only think of him as Mike. Although I never met him in person, I “knew” him by the words of his books. Now I wish I had spent the time to drive north and hear him preach at the small church he pastored near Yreka.

Anyway, back to the book; one of the authors had an interesting story to tell and that was Frederica Mathewes-Green. In this too-short of a story, she describes her passage through feminism to her current life as the wife of an Eastern Orthodox priest. She also describes what she calls the Superman Cape attitude…"The Superman cape is our culture’s most common fashion statement. Feminism is only one of its many expressions; the causes, as I said, are interchangeable. It’s an intoxicating costume. For one thing, the Superman Cape works like an invisibility cloak in reverse: put it on and you can’t see your own faults. Instead, you see everyone else’s with lightning clarity and presume the authority to judge them."

Her website... http://www.frederica.com/welcome.html

Now that was a wake up call! So I will take this space to apologize for my comments yesterday about Republicans. That was mean spirited of me. To be honest, I had no specific Republicans in mind when I wrote that. But that doesn’t make it right…

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:07 PM

    As a Republican, I accept your apology, Steve.
    Kay Matheney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kay...you are most gracious.

    ReplyDelete