Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Tax Time

Did I tell you that we are using Turbo Tax for the Web to do our taxes this year? Now that is an experience! It is going well, but it is a good thing that you can stop whenever you want and take a breather for a day or two. Our two personality types are in conflict when it comes to filling out these forms. I like to round off numbers to the closest $10 and my wife works everything out to the penny. For years we have used an accountant for this yearly torture and have grown used to his shepherding us through the process. We’re on our own now and since we think our tax situation is simpler, the Turbo Tax solution seemed appropriate. And the nice part (one of many) is that the software is not on your computer. Yes, you can buy their software and do it off-line, but why? This way (on-line) the cost is only $20 and you are assured of having the latest version. Plus, next year, all of the information is already stored and ready for use in preparing the forms for that year. It should be a piece of cake next time!

Yes, I hear you... “But now Turbo Tax has all of this personal information”. But I have to ask; do you really think that government computers are more secure than private ones? Do you know how often the Pentagon computers are attacked by “crackers”? I will take my chances with Turbo Tax. (I hope I'm right!)

No comments:

Post a Comment