Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Timely

I’ve been listening to NPR this morning, Talk of the Nation, and the discussion is centered on automobiles and fuel…how timely!

One view holds that fuel prices will rise to over $3 very soon. (That is already true at one station in Malibu) Now factor in the possibility of another terrorist attack that places the petroleum supply in jeopardy and the price will be over $4 in a hurry. And with that increase, everything else will increase in price.

Also brought out in the discussion was the fact that General Motors stock is in deep trouble.

“GM shares had plunged almost 14 percent last Wednesday, when GM cut its outlook for the year and warned that it would likely post a substantial loss in the first quarter. The stock fell a total of 17.1 percent for the week”.

Also noted was the fact that GM has shifted all of their marketing and development money to the promotion of more trucks and SUV’s… (contrary to the advise of most industry analysts.) SUV and truck sales gave GM a boost in the 90’s and they seem to think they can do it again.

“Chief Executive Rick Wagoner said last week that the automaker is making changes to allow new versions of its largest pickups to be introduced sooner than planned.”

I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that GM will have to re-invent itself by the end of the year or suffer a breakup. A “fire sale”.

The SUV is on its way out…At this time, no American automobile company is making money, so look for Ford and Daimler-Chrysler to make changes soon. The industry leader continues to be Toyota.

4 comments:

  1. I can tell your from experience Steve that SUV prices are lowering. Whitney and I are car shopping right now for a used vehicle. It is amazing how cheap you can get a used Ford Explorer for not to mention other SUV's. We my get one just because we can use the threat of higher gas prices as leverage. I'd love a Honda but as we were sitting in a Dodge Neon the other day I was struck by how all the SUV's bumpers are right and my wife and daughters head level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I ever mentioned how much I love your blog Steve? I love that you make Christians have to rethink whether they are going to be Democrats/Republicans first or Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you David...

    When I post to this blog, I'm not interested in a starting a battle. (Although I sometimes let my emotions get the best of me...and for that I apologize.) But I am interested in getting the thinking process going. Sure, I have a different opinion than lots of people; but it's the seeking of knowledge that's important to me...and as you see, just about anything fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "just about anything fascinates me"

    Well we have something in common, my poor wife is dumbfounded by some of the crazy things I am captivated by.

    ReplyDelete