Friday, April 22, 2005

Friday Musings

The view from my window is unparalleled. I suppose some might take a look out the same window and wonder about my grip on reality. There is a white metal shed that houses my riding mower and other implements, and currently that is the first thing you see. It is my foreground. But beyond that boring structure is the whole world! I can see trees waving in the wind, I can see the grapes ripening in the sun, I can see hawks gliding silently, and later, just as the sun goes down, I can see the bats fly out of the barn as they prepare to dine on mosquitoes. I’ve seen an owl. Right now, the winds are whipping the trees without mercy as a storm moves through the area. I can see my new olive tree bending and recovering from each blast. Squinting, I can see some asparagus poking through the soil of the garden and I know what’s going to be on the table tomorrow night! The pecan tree, not fully leafed, bends lightly, gracefully. and by stretching a little bit, I can see the wild tree roses on the adjacent property. The sky is an odd light gray color with shades of white here and there. I heard some thunder…

Sometime in the future I will build a wall in front of the shed. Not a tall one, just enough to obscure my view of it. And on that wall I will put a mosaic mural, designed to please me each time I look out. And plants, lots of plants! A garden to contemplate and a mural to make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment