Sunday, April 10, 2005

History Revisited

It was in the early 1970’s that I took a World History class at Moorpark college. I don’t remember the instructors name but what he taught me has remained with me for all time. And that was that it wasn’t as important to know the correct dates for historical events as it was to know the correct reasons for those events. It was the “Why” and not the “When” that were going to be important to us if we were to learn anything at all from history.

I remember the first paper that I turned in to him, fully expecting a grade of “A” and no less than a “B”. I had researched my subject carefully, getting all of the dates and the characters correct. I received a “D” and a note asking me to contact him later. I did and he explained that the reason for my low grade was because, “I can open any history book and read this…” he said. He then went on to explain that I had omitted the story behind the facts…how had these events effected history and why? What had caused these events? There is always a “story” in history and I had neglected that part altogether.

I struggled with the next paper as I researched not just the dates, but the events that led up to that historical moment and then to the results of it. I created a valid story and I was given a “B”. It wasn’t the best grade but I had learned from it. I learned that anyone can throw out some dates, a list of characters and a story and call it history. I learned to be a skeptic. I learned that history is always written by the victors and that the truth is very elusive!

4 comments:

  1. Was it "history" you were learning, or "theirstory"? Perhaps a little "herstory"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, OK...climb down off of your soapbox. History, when done correctly is "gender neutral". But it is a story! And that's the rub...as Shakespeare once said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your teacher was a sociologist and not a Historian. A sociologist determines the why's, historians as best they can report the what's.

    I am an my quest to become a history teacher myself. The most influential teacher I ever had was the Rev. Dutch Souder back in Brunswick, ME. He really kick started me into giving a damn about my future. He was the best history teacher I've had thus far in my life, aside from helping me stay in school and escape a bleak future in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to disagree. A historian seeks out all of the reasons for an event. And if he/she is good at it, presents it as a story with all of the facts (like them or not) intact. In my mind, a sociologist works in the here and now, seeing history only as a precursor.

    ReplyDelete