Friday, April 8, 2005

Postscript

Ya know...Tom DeLay mentioned that the judges were ignoring the "will of the people" and that was somehow, wrong.

Has he forgotten? That is their job! We live in a republic, not a democracy. "People" are notoriously unreliable when it comes to knowing the truth. Hence we have...judges!

Will of the people? We would need a passport to visit South Carolina. We wouldn't pay taxes. Women would still be looking for the ballot box. Martin Luther King Jr. and Cesar Chavez would be unknowns.

No thanks, I will take my chances with the system we have.

Ya know something else? If I didn't know better...I might think that Mr. DeLay is unpatriotic!

1 comment:

  1. Totally Grandpa! I was just reading the Plessy v. Gerguson case where Homer Plessy, who was 1/8 black, was challenging the Jim Crow laws. Though they were clearly violating the Fourteenth Amendment and perhaps even the Thirteenth, they ruled on the "good of the people". Their idea was that they cannot force equality onto society, and the black race will always be inferior, socially regardless of the law. I read it in today's context and I'm like, "hello? anyone home?!?"

    ReplyDelete