Thursday, May 12, 2005

Associate

I mentioned the subject of “words” the other day and that has brought to mind something I have been wondering about for awhile. Have you noticed that there seems to be a concerted effort to replace the word “employee” with “associate”?

Why? I think it’s because associate lessens the responsibility that an employer might feel towards the person hired. Employee brings with it a connotation of the employer/employee relationship which involves some give and take by both parties. Ergo: If I employ someone, I have some responsibility for that person. We have entered into a relationship. Associates don’t have that relationship…dissolving an association is so much easier than firing an employee.

I know it’s just a word…but I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment