Monday, May 2, 2005

Freedom

I don’t think I mentioned that I had a haircut recently. So what, you say? Since I had stopped cutting my hair back in November of 2003, it had grown quite long and so it became quite an event to cut it off. My original intention was simply to experience the look and feel of having long hair. I had never had long hair before and I wanted to experience it. That’s all. But for some, it became more than that. It became divisive; although I can say that my middle child, (Bless you!) supported me. My oldest and youngest children (Plus my wife) were not quite so happy with my “look”. Although I often repeated the mantra, “it’s only hair”, it was apparent that not all believed that to be true.

So now I have had a haircut and it was because I wanted to experience the opposite of long hair; short or no hair at all. I used a ¼” guide on the clippers and you can definitely see my scalp now. I will say once again, with feeling! It’s only hair! But most will see some motive other than my own curiosity in this matter.

Some people believe I did this because summer is on its way. But that’s not true, as a very short haircut forces me to wear a hat, certainly not high on my list of things I like to do. So let me reveal the truth behind both the long and the short of my hair. I dislike barbers. No, not the barber himself. He is probably a fine person. I just dislike what I perceive to be a waste of my time, sitting in a barber chair. I always have felt this way and no barber was ever at fault…now I can cut my own hair if need be and do it in less than 10 minutes! Freedom (somewhat) from the tyranny of hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment