Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Look! Up in the Sky...

I was just looking out of the window and admiring the sunrise. Although only a silver gray band of light on the eastern horizon exists at this moment, it is enough to silhouette the trees. The trees are still, not a leaf is moving, so I know that the day will be warm. Whoa! There they are…my pals, the bats, are flying as they catch the last few mosquitoes before heading to the rafters in the barn next door.

This will be the first day that I irrigate this season, and so about 6 AM I will head over to the canal and open the floodgates. I’m hoping that it will take just an hour to finish the flooding, but I know that the soil is already quite dry, despite the abundance of rain we enjoyed a few weeks ago.

The irrigation and this heat should combine to bring the apricots close to perfection in a few weeks. Believe me; a store-bought apricot does not resemble these fruit in any way! And once they begin to ripen, you have to be prepared to eat them or preserve them all right away. Unlike other fruit, it seems as if the whole tree will become ripe all at once.

Decisions, decisons...eat the apricot now? Or wait?

No comments:

Post a Comment