Monday, May 23, 2005

Whew!

I just came in from the garden where I have been busy weeding and watering; plus some planting. As my eldest often tells me...garden time is time very well spent. I find that my mind is free to wander and I often come up with some interesting thoughts...or two.

I was wondering about the words, "political science". No, I'm not picking on my granddaughter, who is a political science major, but here's my thought. Why is it called a "science"? Science deals with logic and predictable results, not at all what you find in politics. How about Political Chicanery? Or Political Wizardry? You can't call it Political Ethics; that only makes people laugh.

Or is it called a science because someone, a long time ago, thought it added some respectability to the process? Did you know that they call boxing, "The sweet science"? Of course it's not a real science...it's legalized brutality, but calling it a science does change how we perceive it.

OK, back to the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment