Thursday, June 2, 2005

The Information Age

Thursday is the name of the day; let me check that first, I’ve been wrong about my calendar facts recently. Yes, it is Thursday…according to my computer. And that statement makes me wonder what we would do without our computers? Some would argue that we are far too dependant upon them. Others, such as me, would say that we need faster and more powerful ones. When I was growing up, I used the tool called “books” to access information and some people used to tell me that I spent far too much time reading. So I just read faster. Now I wonder how my life would have been different if I had had access to a personal computer during my school years.

For those of my generation, television was the defining event in our lives. It had the power of books and it could attract everyone, even those who would never set foot in a library. And so, it is sad to see how television has lost its promise, lured away from being a great tool of education to simply being another way to sell beer.

And what about the computer as a tool for education? Will the same fate befall it?

No comments:

Post a Comment