Monday, August 1, 2005

Chores

My life is dominated by chores, both real and imagined. And the biggest chore is the garden and the orchard. And I mustn't forget the front yard and its lawns! The weeds are out of control in the garden and the tomatoes have taken on a life of their own. The tomatoes began to grow in the direction of the setting sun and as they grew larger, they began to crush their supports. I propped them up and propped them up again, but they can’t be stopped. They have inundated the marigolds on the west side and erased the garden path there. The tomatoes are finally bearing fruit and that adds to the weight of the plants. On the positive side…the tomatoes are beautiful and delicious. I especially like the Momotaro’s and the Azoychka’s; red and yellow heirlooms respectively. The Glacier cherry tomatoes are a little too big for my taste; being close to 1-1/2” in diameter. I do have one volunteer cherry tomato from last years plantings and it is beginning to produce the cherry tomato I love to pick and eat, warm from the sun. They rarely make it into the house.

Although it’s early, I have already begun to make plans for next years garden, using the knowledge gained so far. One; I must not be so ambitious! Large garden’s = lots of work and how much of that do I really want? But, I am fascinated by the whole growing process and consider it a blessing to watch God’s hand in it. Two; plan, plan and plan some more. And plan with minimizing the work. Ask my “garden daughter” for more advice.

Resolved so far: three tomatoes only. (I already know I can’t do that!) One yellow and one zucchini squash. One Bell pepper. No cucumbers. No eggplant. No corn. More green beans. One Tigger melon only. Add more gourds and snap peas. Add a musk melon. OK, that’s enough pre-planning. I’m certain that I will change it all in the future anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment