Thursday, August 18, 2005

Isabel

I have been reading a new novel by Isabel Allende (yes, she is related to that Allende) and although I haven't finished the book, I felt compelled to comment on it. This novel, Zorro, is a light but fascinating read. Isabel is one of my favorite authors because of the way she uses language to paint beautiful images.

Back in 2003, I was in my hotel room in Overland Park, Kansas and watching Bill Moyers interview her...here are my comments, taken from my Journal entry that day.

I am watching Bill Moyers interviewing Isabel Allende and she is fascinating to listen to. She writes every day when she starts a book, every January 8th, and she uses a candle to tell her when to stop for the day. She says that she knows that the characters and the story are in her and it’s her job to write each day and let them out. If only I could do that! I wonder if you are born to be an author, a story teller, or can you develop that talent?

Isabel Allende’s granddaughter wrote in a school paper that, “her family was not very interesting, except for her grandmother, who had imagination.” Imagination? Isabel Allende’s granddaughter said this to her grandmother when Isabel questioned her about that statement, “You can remember what never happened” What a great quote!


I still love that quote...

Another good book of hers, The stories of Eva Luna. And if you dare, read her non-fiction story about the death of her daughter, Paula.

No comments:

Post a Comment