Tuesday, September 6, 2005

Morning Headlines

I have looked at the mornings headlines and they are all about the New Orleans disaster. Which makes me wonder; what is happening in the rest of the world? I’m sure that news was made elsewhere, but we didn’t see much mention of it. Even the internet news, which I expected to be more international in scope, has remained focused on New Orleans. And I suppose I should state here that I may be typing the words, “New Orleans”, but I really do mean the entire region that has been devastated by the hurricane. I can only imagine the frustration felt by the citizens of the small towns and rural villages of Mississippi and Louisiana whenever they hear that name used as the title for their own disasters.

True, there was some mention of Rehnquist and Roberts in the news, but I don’t believe that little bit of political drama has captured the interest of the world. To be truthful, at this point I really don’t care what they do with Roberts. I may regret that later, so let me say for the record that I oppose the appointment of any Supreme Court justice who is without “real world” experience and that includes Roberts, who has spent his short life in the ivory tower of political juris prudence. (Plus, he was a lobbyist! And that alone should disqualify him.)

But, on to more important things; such as a very short list of words/phrases I would like to see eliminated from the language.  First, boots on the ground, or variations of that. “On the ground”, without the “boots” is just as irritating. Second, 24/7. What’s the matter with, “All of the time”?

No comments:

Post a Comment