Sunday, September 25, 2005

What?

In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex and Rigoberta Menchú Tum. What do those words have to do with anything? Those are words that I was desperately searching for in my mind last night. My memory fails me at every turn! We were enjoying a conversation with the pastor and I had an opportunity to speak about the book, The Heart of the Sea, and I suddenly lost all memory of the title. Later, she was speaking about her experiences in Guatemala and I wanted to add what I knew about Rigoberta Menchú, but once again the memory of that name had faded away. And what I do remember; is it factual? Memory loss is the worst of all the aspects of aging! I had to use Google this morning to find these names for me, and I suppose, if I live long enough, I may have some portable device that I can use, no matter where I am, to search the internet instead of my empty brain.

A portable wireless search engine with a direct connection to Google. That’s what I need! OK, I know that is something that is already found in a laptop computer. But a laptop is still a bulky piece of equipment and I was thinking of something a little more compact. And a wireless connection is not to be found everywhere…not yet anyway. Some cities have begun the process of providing connectivity but they are facing some controversy as private enterprise accuses them of unfair competition. Just as cities provide libraries for written information, why shouldn’t they provide that same information (and more!) via an internet connection? Imagine the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment