Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Data

And more data…
Crime and Punishment
Prisoners; the U.S leads the world with 2,021,223. China, (where Bush is pushing democracy this week) has 1,428,126.

And this; Australia leads the world in Serious Assaults, with 736.8 per 100,000 population. The U.S is at # 11 with just 318.6. With Theft, Australia drops to 3rd with 6,653.2 incidents per 100,000. And again the U.S. lags behind, coming in at #10 with 3,804.6 cases.

I had no idea it was so dangerous “Down Under”…but remember, the Australian continent was founded and populated by importing prisoners from England. I didn’t realize that a life of crime was hereditary!

5 comments:

  1. China kills large numbers of it's prisoners. I wish the ACLU would go over there and fight for the chinese inmates. Me thinks we would never see the ACLU again.

    America was also used as a Penal colony Steve. Ships use to sit off shore full of inmates. The guards made their living off the payoffs given by the inmates family.

    I proposed that America use it's prison labor to make TV's and other technology that would only be for sale in China. My professor liked the idea but we both agreed that the liberals would never have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that I didn't tell you that the source for my figures was the Economist Pocket World in Figures, 2004 Edition. Can you tell me the source for your data about the number of Chinese killed in prison? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Steve....... You know better.....

    I'm sure a good liberal like you has certainly followed Amnesty International over the years. Maybe you even watch the news. Perhaps even you are familiar with Voice of the Martyrs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C'mon Dave...a little accountability won't hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve I have been doing some research on the prison issue in China. When I have a bit more time I'll share it with you. Part of me thinks China is right on (capital punishment for drug smugglers) but the other part of me knows capital punishment is not acceptable. BTW we are supposed to get snow tonight into Weds, with a White Thanksgiving. Renee is sooo excited to get her sled into the snow.

    A blessed Thanksgiving day and happy Holy days to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete