Monday, November 14, 2005

Monday News

Once again it’s a Monday and I’m trying out the keyboard at an early hour. The moon is full and so I can see the trees and the horizon from my window, even at this hour. Moonlight also means a cloudless sky above. And with any luck at all, the coffeepot will deliver a hot cup of coffee in just a few minutes and I can get on with the day.

Ah! Very good coffee. Now I need to see what’s in the news. That involves a visit to my Yahoo news page where I have assembled a collection of links to all of the major news services, newspapers and assorted blogs. The paper and ink newspaper won’t arrive for an hour, so I satisfy my early morning curiosity with the electronic news. Why do I bother with a newspaper? Good question. I imagine that newspapers will become less and less important to us as news availability via other mediums becomes easier to access.

Easy access is the key. The fact that 25% of Americans don’t even have internet access is disturbing news. Because that means that a quarter of all Americans don’t know about the wealth of information that is available to them when connected to the internet. And how many computers with internet connections are used solely for gaming? Let’s make the percentage of uninformed 35%. A third of all Americans don’t use the internet to increase their knowledge of the world.

And today’s headlines are; Britain says troops may start leaving Iraq in 2006. That sounds to me like Tony Blair is preparing to save his political life. Recent parliamentary votes have threatened his party and so he needs to do something to show Britons that he isn’t a Bush crony.

Jump in suspected bird flu cases in people. So far, so good. Still no instances of human to human transmission of the disease, but the number of cases keep rising.

That’s enough. There is plenty more just like that but you can look it up yourself. For myself, I need another cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment