Friday, November 18, 2005

What to Wear?

It’s the end of the work week. Not that I have to worry at all about what to wear on Dress-Down Friday’s anymore. I simply note it. My casual dress extends to all days of the week now. And, truth be told, I never paid a lot of attention to the corporate dress code. Friday was more memorable as being the day that I usually flew home; my travel day! And that required comfortable clothes, slip-on shoes and a really good attitude.

Once again I have a cup of good coffee in front of me and I didn’t have to thrash the coffee maker to obtain it. One day the coffee arrives with a struggle and the next day it brews quite nicely. I don’t get it. And speaking of attitudes; I don’t like coffee makers that have one!

With adequate caffeine preparedness, it’s time to look at the headlines once again. The sun is already up on the eastern shore and people are writing news articles. Here’s one…House Passes Sweeping Budget Cut Bill Fri Nov 18, 2:46 AM ET WASHINGTON - House Republicans sweated out a victory on a major budget cut bill in the wee hours Friday, salvaging a major pillar of their agenda despite divisions within the party and nervousness among moderates that the vote could cost them in next year's elections. They should be nervous. Once more the poor and the middle class will balance the budget without any help from the wealthiest among us.

Rapid Pullout From Iraq Urged by Key Democrat is another headline. Representative John P. Murtha of Pennsylvania, a Vietnam combat veteran who voted for the Iraq war said…”after more than two years of combat, American forces had united a disparate array of insurgents in a seemingly endless cycle of violence…He said the 153,000 American troops in Iraq should be pulled out within six months. "Our military has done everything that has been asked of them. It is time to bring them home," Mr. Murtha said, at times choking back tears. Mr. Murtha's proposal…stunned many Republicans who quickly held their own news conference to criticize the plan. As much as I would like to agree with Mr. Murtha, I don’t see how we can abandon Iraq after telling the citizens of that ravaged country that we were with them, all the way! We’ve already broken many of our promises there and this (withdrawal) would be the final straw for all of the nations of the Middle East that are watching us. We created this mess and we have a responsibility to see it through to some sort of resolution. Criticize Mr. Murtha? Never! I respect him…

On a lighter note, I spent some time looking at the Google Base site. This is already a major news story in the tech world and should be noted by everyone, not just techies. Newspapers will be the first to be impacted by Google Base. And I just read that Knight-Ridder is looking to sell off its newspapers. Did they have advance news of Google’s latest offering? I read that some newspapers are already being affected by CraigsList, so a Google Base hit could be fatal for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment