Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Awake

The aroma of fresh brewed coffee has my mind on alert. It’s early, but I’m almost ready for the coming day; just a sip or two more of this magical brew and I will be fully functional.

The news is in and I have browsed through some of it. Stanley Williams is dead, executed at midnight. Archaic. Other than that, the news for today is less than exciting.

While looking through the Letters to the Editor of the local paper on Sunday, I found a reference to Lin Jensen. The name was newly familiar to me because that is the name of the racewalker I see in the park most days when I’m training. I had spotted him in Portland as well; we had both competed in that cities marathon. (He beat me by 10 minutes!) Looking up his bib number on the Portland Marathon website I had found out his name and his age…73. This morning I decided to Google the name and came up this link, among others. Apparently, Mr. Jensen is not very popular among the right wing il-literati of Chico. Well, I don’t know about his views; I haven’t read any of his work and we don’t speak very often. He once congratulated me for having “good form” as we passed. I think that’s the most I ever heard him say. Racewalkers are generally solitary folks and we like it that way. I do know one thing about him; he’s faster than I am and he’s also 8 years older. What a stroke of bad luck for me…there can’t be more than 2 racewalkers in all of Butte and Glenn counties, and I’m the slowest one…Curses!

No comments:

Post a Comment