Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Hate torture?

Consider boot camp
I guess I haven't kept up with who is who in the conservative camp. The author of this piece is Max Boot, a Senior Fellow, etc, etc. But with this bit of odd logic, you would think that the conservatives would want to disown him. His premise is that torture (in moderation) is OK because that's what we do to our own armed forces when they are in "boot camp". Hello? Now I have been to boot camp and it was torturous...but I was free to go any time I wanted. I could simply quit and tell them that I didn't want to do this anymore. There would have been legal consequences of course, because I had signed a contract. Sorry, that's not torture.

And Mr. Boot goes on to say that our little bit of torture is OK because Saddam did worse things...so there! We wouldn't accept this kind of logic from our young children, so why would we accept it from this "scholar"?

No comments:

Post a Comment