Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Musical Interlude

Thursday arrives on time; just as I thought it would. And I can see quite a few stars from the study window, despite the brightness of the moon. Apparently we have no fog in Orland this morning. A good thing!

We were out and about last night, going to Durham for the winter concert at the Durham high school. We were there to watch our granddaughter play the flute in the 6th grade band and it was delightful, of course. Although it’s difficult to pick out the sound of one particular flute from among all of the instruments in the 6th grade band, I think I succeeded and I can tell you that she performed flawlessly! The Durham schools musical program is a miracle in this era of slashed and lean school budgets. They have five (5) school bands and one (1) very dedicated music director.

At the conclusion of the 2 hour program, a community sing was held with the Symphonic Band doing the musical accompaniment. We sang Silent Night, Adeste Fidelis, Joy to the World and 3 or 4 other “religious” songs. I can report that the building didn’t fall down and that the crowd didn’t riot at the mention of the words, Christ and Lord. In fact it was more of the opposite…I was singing but I took the time to look at the audience. From my vantage point, high on the bleachers, I noted that about half of the audience was not singing along and were looking at their watches. A few were trying it out, but looked slightly confused at some of the more difficult lyrics. There was also a number of the audience that was holding conversations with each other and treated the sing-along as a minor irritant. In other words, just a normal audience for today’s world. (Audience behavior is a lengthy subject all of its own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment