Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wednesday

Wednesday has arrived in the usual fashion and I’m here to see it. That’s always a good thing! Now if Wednesday turns out to be as nice as Tuesday was; this could be a great day. After lunch, It didn’t take me long to rid myself of my sweatshirt and I spent the rest of the day in my t-shirt. If I had thought about it, I might have grabbed a pair of shorts to wear instead of the jeans.

The day isn’t very old, but I already have two “Iran” alerts from Google News and no “nanotechnology” alerts at all. Oops! Make that three “Iran” alerts now. It would be so nice to not think about the Middle East for awhile, but that isn’t going to happen, not while our future is tied to the oil that comes from there. And I believe that most people would be surprised at just much oil we use for purposes other than driving from point A to point B. If manufacturers would use the label to include the statement, “Made from oil” right below their logo, I think we would all be surprised at just how much oil is used to make our lives comfortable.

I did read some promising news about the possibility of using our huge reserves of oil shale. The technology is evolving on how best to extract the oil and from what I read, the cost would be around $30 a barrel. That’s cost…so price would probably be double that.  

But, wouldn’t we better off in the long run if we could find a way to end our dependence on oil for transport? Maybe it would be a good thing to tax our oil to the point where we are forced to find an alternative and use that tax money to develop it. But who would we trust to do that for us?

1 comment:

  1. I wish our politicians could become less dependent on big oil pay-offs. Both parties have blood and oil on their hands.

    ReplyDelete