Thursday, February 16, 2006

Coffee Time

Ah! The coffee is wonderful this morning…my own special blend of coffee, syrup and creamer, toasted to perfection in the microwave before adding more of the coffee to fill the cup to the brim.

I don’t have an outside thermometer yet; it’s on my list of things to do. So I checked the Yahoo weather and that source tells me that it is 27° outside. That also tells me that the temperature will probably go as low as 25° before the sun rises. I would presume that Yahoo gets its information from an automated weather recorder at the local airport and that’s about a mile from here, so the temperature is going to be fairly accurate for my location. And speaking of airports, I heard a low flying airplane just about 15 minutes ago, as I was pouring my first coffee. That seems very early to be landing at Orland International?

This cold snap we are seeing may end up being very damaging to the local agricultural economy. An awful lot of plants, trees and people were fooled by the warm weather we saw for the past two weeks and blossoms are opening everywhere. The drive from Orland to Chico takes you through a sea of white and lilac colored blossoms right now…but tomorrow? We have wind, rain and low temps forecast for the next few days. Sounds a lot like winter, doesn’t it?

And I’m going to be out in that cold winter scene this morning as I make my way around the park in my quest for racewalking fitness. I have a race this weekend, the Almond Blossom 5k in Durham, and that day is forecast to be very wintry! “Saturday: Mix of rain and snow. Highs in the upper 40s and lows in the upper 20s.” Snow? It doesn’t snow here…or does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment