Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Morning Time

Tuesday has arrived and I am right on top of it…nothing much escapes me! OK, now that it’s here, what will I do with it? I do have a practice walk scheduled for later this morning. And I need to get the last of the pruning done. Garage and shop cleanup are on the list as well. Chores and more chores!

We went into town (Chico) yesterday to get a few supplies. We were looking for some sort of containers to put our watercolor supplies in and found some “under bed” storage containers at K-Mart and those fit the need perfectly. And we stopped by Brambly Cottage, one of our favorite stores in the downtown area. That was when I spotted a framed photograph that I had seen in the Victorian Trading Company catalog. I just checked that catalog price a minute ago and found that I could buy it in the store for $40 less. That is odd when the store price is lower than the catalogs. And we stopped at Fleet Feet so that I could pick up my free t-shirt, just for joining the Chico Running Club. While we were there, I checked to see if they had received Jill’s check for the ½ marathon registration. They admitted that they hadn’t processed many of the registrations yet; in fact they had over 400 checks that needed to be deposited! The good news was that we found her check in the midst of that bundle and so all is well.

Hmm? I just heard the 4 O’clock Flyer pass over the house again on his approach into Orland. If the flyer disappears when the weather is warmer, then I can assume that my supposition that the flyer was connected to the helicopter “anti-freeze” service was correct. And the forecast calls for fairly low temps this morning and that means that some helicopters will be flying.

I just had a vision of that flight. I have flown a few times in small aircraft and can appreciate the enjoyment that pilot receives as he guides the craft through the chilly early morning darkness. Coming up the valley, he would see far fewer lights and could imagine that he was all alone in the sky. He would be high enough to see the faint silver of the approaching dawn in the east. Stars would still be filling the heavens above his canopy. Below him, the concrete ribbon that is I-5 would be eerily empty. There would be trucks of course, but far fewer than usual and the occasional car would be a rarity at this hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment