Friday, April 7, 2006

Friday Musings

Friday is upon us once more. Laurae tells me that it’s her favorite day of the week. And I was surprised to note that it isn’t raining. The forecast still calls for it and while I was lying in bed, just before I got up a few minutes ago, I could have sworn that I heard rain falling. Maybe it’s because that is what I’m used to hearing when I wake up?

And yesterday was beautiful. Really. After a good walk in the park I was able to get the front lawn mowed. Then I moved all of the prunings from the orchard out to a position close to the truck. I mowed the orchard and almost had it completed when the mower stopped. And so it sits, silent and abandoned…Well, I suppose that’s OK, I had to take it in for a yearly service anyway.

The pool guy was here yesterday and re-repaired the hole in the liner. I’ve been filling up the pool ever since he left and it’s getting close to an operational level now; he will show up again today and make certain that the new pool sweep works. Now that’s an equipment improvement that I will really enjoy.

What else? I got my Blood orange tree planted in the orchard. I also planted a cheap ($2- at Long’s)) Boysenberry plant in my row of berries. If it doesn’t make it, I’m not out much money. After all was done, I got dinner fixed and simmering on the stove while I went into town to watch Kyle play T-ball. It was their first game and it was very enjoyable to be able to sit in the afternoon sun and watch the kids running the bases.

I should mention that our local Holiday market is closing. Some discounter, a Wal-Mart wannabe, will take over the operation next week. The older citizens of Orland are not happy about it as it is one of those “bag it yourself” operations. I suppose I didn’t help Holiday in its endeavor to remain in business here. The prices were always too high, despite the courteous clerks, and so we usually shopped at Raley’s, only going to Holiday if we ran out of something and didn’t feel like driving into Chico. Although it is a 20 minute drive away, Raley’s is our favorite store now. The Safeway stores were ripping us off on so many items that I started to take it personally! And you don’t need a special card to shop at Raley’s.

1 comment:

  1. Let me tell you Steve Grocceries are alot more expensive here in Maine and our Stores aren't Union. The checkers here are making 6.85 an hour. It really makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete