Monday, April 10, 2006

Hello?

Monday has rolled around once more. I just looked out the window in front and I saw the moon, a very full moon and a much better sight than the usual clouds. Now I need to get the cobwebs cleared out of my mind with this cup of coffee (or two) and then I will be “good to go”.

And where will I go? The usual places; first, I will open my e-mail and browse the news. That action, alone, requires two cups of coffee to be done properly. Then I spend some time reading others blogs before looking for the newspaper sometime after 6.  

It looks like I will have good weather for a long walk in the park this morning. Since I already have a small blister on my right heel, I need to protect it from any further damage; and a band aid will probably suffice for now. I am going to need another pair of shoes to put into the rotation, but I’m afraid to do it now. Better to wait. I’m getting too close to race day to have any more blister problems.

I need to make the pilgrimage to the local dump. I have the truck loaded with prunings and once it’s dumped, I can stop by Denise and David’s house and get the trailer and rototiller. I have a dead mower that needs to go to the repair shop quickly, before the front lawn explodes again.

I did run across a news item on the problem of poor attention span among geeks. According to the doctor…“I believe many people become geeks because computers have always been one of the things that keep them stimulated. In fact, if I question someone about their attention span, they never, even have problems staying focused on their computer work. If someone is in the middle of some exciting programming, the focus is always there…The typical geek trains their brain to be heavily focused while multitasking day after day. Is it surprising that this same brain does not do well when forced to isolate down to one task? Listening in a meeting is a very isolated, very passive event. Coding, developing, debugging — these are not passive at all. The geek brain is just not trained to sit quietly and listen.”

Can I relate to any of that? First, I think he’s on the wrong track. Calling it “Poor attention span” puts the weight of the problem on the listener, when it should more properly be on the speaker. It’s certainly not the listener that makes for a dull meeting! Hello! Are you awake?

No comments:

Post a Comment