Sunday, April 9, 2006

Is it me?

It’s fairly early on a Sunday morning. I’m not sure why I am awake. But since I am, I will make the best of it. And I have already done some reading of the news – the weather news to be exact. It’s not very encouraging. Is it just me, or do you make note of the weather more often these days? I really think this is an odd year for weather and one that will be remembered for many years– “Rain? You call this rain? You should have seen it rain during the spring of ‘06’, now that was rain!

I see some other news has made it to my screen…none of it surprising.

AP - Rising anxiety has pushed immigration close to the economy in the public's view of the most important problems facing this country, according to an AP-Ipsos poll. Those issues ranked slightly behind war in Iraq and elsewhere.

And this…
The president's self-defense at this point must be that if he, the president, decides to leak classified information, like the NIE assessment, then, by definition, it isn't a classified leak. POTUS gets to decide what is and isn't classified.

And this from the Atlantic Monthly… “The inconvenient truth of America’s foreign policy is that the last five years have left us with a series of choices – and all of them are bad…The United States cannot keep troops in Iraq indefinitely…it can’t withdraw them, because of the chaos that would ensue…the United States can’t accept Iran’s emergence as a nuclear power, but it cannot prevent this through military means – unless it is willing to commit itself to all-out war.”

What do you think? Are we willing? We haven’t been willing in Afghanistan or Iraq. We aren’t willing to re-institute the draft; that would have to happen. And would we be willing to do it with “Mission Accomplished” Bush in command? I don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment