Friday, April 28, 2006

Pita, Anyone?

My friend Alex and his son, Tom, arrived yesterday afternoon and we got a chance to show them our home and to spend a few short hours with them. We enjoyed an “Akoury meal” with them, that’s one where all sorts of tempting tidbits; olives, cheeses, and meats are displayed on the table and then scooped up and put into pita bread. All done while enjoying a great conversation. That was something that we always enjoyed when visiting Alex and his family, so it was only right to enjoy it once again. But, it didn’t last long enough and they were soon back on the road, on their way home to Vashon Island, Washington.

And this caught my attention this morning as I scanned the news…

SACRAMENTO — A juror said in a sworn statement that she was pressured into casting the final vote to convict a man of attending a Pakistani terrorist training camp. The juror's affidavit means Hamid Hayat, of Lodi, should get a new trial, attorney Wazhma Mojaddidi argued in a motion filed in federal court late Thursday. "I was under so much stress and pressure (from the other jurors) that I agreed to change my vote," Arcelia Lopez of Sacramento said in her statement. "I never once throughout the deliberation process and the reading of the verdict believed Hamid Hayat to be guilty."

Doesn’t that make the other jurors guilty – of something?

No comments:

Post a Comment