Saturday, May 6, 2006

Cat Talk

What a cool cat…She’s a one-man cat, only comfortable around me; treating everyone else with suspicion and disdain. Boo is her name and she never answers to it. She won’t even turn around when you call her “Hey! You!” If she could talk, I wonder what she would call herself?

This is now her favorite time of year, a time for her to laze around on the grass, climb an occasional tree and catch lizards. She is supposed to catch mice and if she does, she does it silently and leaves no trace of them. Same with rats and ground squirrels. Not a trace.

All during the winter she was quite content to watch the “Cats Big Screen TV”; that is sitting on the windowsill and observing outdoor life from a safe and warm distance. But now that mild temperatures are routine, she loves being outside. She will follow me out into the orchard and then play tag with me, whether I want to or not. She hides in the tall grass, assuming that I can’t see her…crouching low until I pass by. She swats at my ankle. Then she races off in another direction to hide once again. When I get close to her, she rolls over onto her back, inviting me to scratch her belly.

Definitely cool…

No comments:

Post a Comment