Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Flood!

Wednesday already. Time is flying, as usual. And according to the wireless outside thermometer, it’s 66° outside. I have the window open here in the study and the ceiling fan is on “slow”, bringing in some of the cooler morning air. With the window open I can hear the wind chimes clearly now; that and the sound of the breeze in the trees is quite soothing. Not that I need any soothing…it’s time to wake up!

I mowed the orchard yesterday and cleaned out the ditches in preparation for today’s water delivery. I always look forward to the first flooding of the season and even more so this time as I spotted more gopher holes down in the ditch. Dumb gophers! Making a home in the ditch was not a good decision and I will be glad to see them move along; downstream.

This is also a day for the neighbors to gather in their respective orchards and make small talk over the fences while the orchard slowly fills. We all have our rubber boots on and with rakes in our hands; we talk about the weather and whether or not we will have a good harvest this year.

It’s also mosquito time! Darn things…I haven’t heard of any West Nile virus cases so far this year, but I imagine it won’t be long till it’s included in the newspaper on a regular basis. Before I head up to the canal this morning I will have to swab myself with repellant to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment