Sunday, May 21, 2006

Sunday Morning

The day has begun…in its usual manner and that’s a good thing. I have my coffee in hand and have read the first bits of news from the Los Angeles and the New York Times. But things are stirring outside; I can hear the sound of large drops of rain hitting the patio overhang and I thought I heard the rumble of faraway thunder. Ah! A flash of lightning!

We had unusually good luck yesterday and the weather didn’t interfere with the graduation or the graduation party afterwards. Calm gray skies graced us all day long. We have attended other graduation ceremonies at Chico State and have been miserable while baking in the sun, not a tree in sight.

With diploma in hand, Shannon is “officially” an adult. She has been one for some time now, but the diploma adds weight to that title. An adult with degree has more responsibilities; the world has great expectations of them. But grandfathers have memories, and though we might wish them the very best in their lives, we really want them to be one year old again and happily snuggled in Grandpa’s arms. Safe.

And after the graduation party began to lose steam, I decided to close my eyes for a moment while stretched out on my daughter’s couch. A nice long nap ensued. Perhaps my energy levels are something that I need to see a doctor about as I really don’t know what is normal for someone my age. Not that I want to be normal! I only want to be normal “Plus”. Let’s see…I’m getting close to the age of 66 and I weighed 200 yesterday (on a 6’-2” frame). I also did a 12+ mile walk on Friday at an average speed under 13.5 minutes per miles. I walked a marathon distance race just a few weeks ago. I mow my lawn and orchard twice a week and I was rototilling the garden last week, then I spent an hour doing some trim painting at the Senior Center, followed by a nap. And it’s the naps that worry me?

How about my mental health? My short term memory loss still bothers me at times, but I can still function well…as long as I don’t open my mouth and reveal my forgetfulness. I have a tendency to repeat myself and I wonder if that is a part of aging, or is it a personal quirk? I have a book on aging and I should spend some time reading it…before I forget to.

All in all, the aging process is somewhat fascinating. It all depends on your state of mind at the time, but if you remain curious at all times, it can be quite pleasant. I try to remain detached from my symptoms and see them as a “normal” part of aging. “Oh, look…I’ve forgotten who I am!”

I should also report that I have cut my hair…off. I have just short stubble on my scalp now and it feels great. In fact, I like the looks of it. Very sporty! Change is good…

No comments:

Post a Comment