Friday, June 2, 2006

Back Then

I was looking at some ephemera this morning, something I always enjoy and the Library of Congress website has many fine collections available to view. One in particular caught my eye and it was a photograph taken of the crowd on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City in 1922. The photo was actually taken to illustrate the capabilities of the R.C. Maxwell Company, an early outdoor advertising firm, and sure enough, there are some Maxwell billboards in the picture. But what I noted was the fact that there wasn’t one grossly overweight person in the crowd. In fact, I couldn’t spot anyone with a weight problem, gross or minor. And there were at least a hundred people shown. You’ve never seen so many skinny people all in one place! Someone once said that our economy must be a lot stronger because it used to cost a quarter to see a fat man at the circus sideshow but now you can see them anywhere…for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment