Thursday, June 8, 2006

Dawn is breaking

Thursday morning and I have a full day ahead of me. There’s nothing unusual in that. Retirement did not deliver the days of leisure that I imagined it would. But…I do get to choose those things that now occupy so much of my time. If only I would choose wisely! Although; if hard pressed, a nap will take care of any anxieties that are besetting me. Hmm? Perhaps that’s why I always found a way to sleep on the plane? At times I would be asleep before the plane had left the runway.

I need to get in an 8-mile walk this morning; a fast one with 12± minute/miles. The date for the Midnight Sun marathon is rapidly approaching and I only have 7 training days left before we head north, to Alaska. (Isn’t there a song with a title like that?)

There was very little election news in yesterday’s newspaper. Perhaps today’s news will reveal the reasons for some of the strange results. What wasn’t a surprise was the win by another Republican in the old “Duke” Cunningham district. Those voters have a long history of being dysfunctional…how else could Mr. Cunningham have fooled them for so many years?

Now for something entirely different; we tried using some tofu last night. I cooked it with an Indian (Korma) vegetable simmer sauce (From Trader Joe’s) and found it to be quite good. I need to do some more experimenting with it; although I’m already pretty certain that I can’t barbecue it. Hey! Make fun of it if you wish, but it’s good for you. Lots of protein and fiber without fat, or any of that “high fructose corn syrup” that you find in some of the oddest places. Take a look at the contents/nutritional value of any of the foods you are about to buy and if “high fructose corn syrup” is in the first four ingredients listed, you should return it to the shelf immediately. Yes, I know…”should” doesn’t always mean that I will. For instance; I have this overwhelming desire to eat Cheetos these days. I have no idea as to why? I love that first, sharp taste of completely artificial cheese that makes my taste buds tingle. And even after that fades, I’m still stuffing those orange bits of ?? into my mouth like a robot. Perhaps I will outgrow this…

No comments:

Post a Comment