Friday, June 30, 2006

Life...a deep subject

I’ve been reading the blog of the New Dharma Bums this morning and in particular, a post on “retirement” by one of the authors. I found it interesting to see that we have some things in common. My own comments about retirement? I think I can honestly say that I haven’t felt as “alive” as I do now, not since I was a child. Now that I have said that…I must amend it. I did have that unique feeling of being very aware of my innermost thoughts and actions at some other times; very special times. The births of our children would qualify as some of those times. Our wedding; that’s another. Some construction projects that still give me a sense of pride. Grandchildren. Oh, oh…I guess there’s more to this feeling “alive” than I thought.

One of the things I noticed about my own retirement was how quickly I lost interest in my previous life as a superintendent/estimator/IT tech/instructor. I didn’t hate those jobs at all, but now…they’re irrelevant. I’m someone else now. The large construction company that I worked for (PCG) continues on just fine without me and I do quite well without them. I think you’re supposed to say that you miss your old life, but I really don’t have time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment