Saturday, June 3, 2006

Name That Gourd!

It looks like it will be a great day for the garden…humid and warm. I checked it out last night and all the plants are doing just fine, with some showing signs of spectacular growth to come. My “unknowns” are growing like crazy and it won’t be long before I will have an idea as to what kind of plant I have on my hands. These are survivors of my greenhouse collapse and I have a feeling that they are gourds; very large gourds.

And here’s something I found on the GardenWeb.

"Soil Preparation
Immediately after the gourd harvest, I begin getting the soil ready for the next season. I begin by mounding all the fall leaves over the field. I have arrangements with individuals, and a city grounds dept. that I’ll dispose of all their leaves. They bag them, I dump them on the soil. Works great for all of us-ask your neighbors, they’ll probably be thrilled for you to have theirs. I also live near a cattle and buffalo farmer, and he’s good enough to give me all the manure I can haul. I mix this with the leaves, and allow them to sit on top of the field through the winter. About one month before I plan to set out plants, I till the whole area in. once that’s done, I gather up all brush, down tree limbs, any burnable yard waste, and start a huge bonfire on the field. Again, I enlist the neighbors...they don’t want to have to deal with old wood, and they nearly fall over themselves to give it to me. Once the fire has burned out, and is completely cool, I till again. This completes my soil prep part of the process."

Sounds pretty interesting and I certainly have plenty of leaves! But buffalo manure might be hard to find?

ps…Here is a link to a great catalog. Send away for it. Some things are pricey, but not all.

No comments:

Post a Comment