Thursday, June 29, 2006

No Way!

I really enjoyed my time on Vashon Island with Alex last weekend. Especially the time spent “discussing” different subjects. No one in my family enjoys the art of “discussion” and so I must rely on the very few friends that do. And one of the things we discussed was the current World Cup of soccer competition. Alex was anti-soccer and pro-football. Of course I took the opposite view (and the right one!). There’s a good reason for the fact that football is not an Olympic sport; it’s simply not a sport for the common man. Soccer (and a thousand variations) can be played anywhere and at any time while using anything for a ball…including the real thing, a soccer ball. My guess? More than 7/8ths of the world plays soccer. Football? Very few; in fact I would guess that Pop Warner football is experiencing a decline in membership these days, while the soccer fields are filled every weekend.

On a more serious subject, we also differed on the appropriateness of the death penalty. And there was no budging him; even with the facts. Facts are facts…but Alex wouldn’t budge.

Last; as we were going into Raley’s to get some groceries yesterday, I noticed a sign on the door that stated that Raley’s would be glad to accept and dispose of any soiled or damaged American flag “in a dignified and respectful manner.” I thought about that for a moment. Can they really guarantee that? What if the guy that has been assigned the task of burning all these flags decides that he is late for a soccer game and just hurries through the ceremony? Should he be shot?

OK; one more…I was researching the possibility of my having some VA benefits and was looking at the VA website. After all, I am a veteran, albeit a Cold War Veteran. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the information page was a bilingual one! (. I love it! And then I looked some more and found that I was now eligible to receive a medal for my service…Way!

No comments:

Post a Comment