Thursday, June 29, 2006

Where's my tomato?

Thursday morning and life is getting back to normal again. Travel is a wonderful experience…but there is no place like your own bed! I wonder; if Columbus had a comfortable bed, would he have bothered to sail off in search of India? Of course not!

Even Boo, the cat, is back to being her normal self after her exile at the veterinarians office while we traveled. Affectionate one moment and disdainful the next. For her, that’s normal. I went looking for her in the garage last night; I knew she was in there. But do you think she would reveal where she was? No, she slumbered while I called for her and it took Laurae to spot her, lying on a shelf under a workbench. I had passed within a foot or so of her but she had never revealed herself. This morning? she is eager to come in the house and is quite affectionate, purring and weaving back and forth between my feet as she begs to be stroked. Fickle!

Since it’s time for the tomato growing contest updates, I will have to post some great photos on my garden blog today. I wish I had some color (red) to my tomatoes, but all are a boring green. But…some good news, the weather forecast shows that we have a week of high 90° weather ahead of us and that should help to speed the ripening.

I know that I’m being impatient, but I do love the taste of my own tomatoes in a dinner salad. And salads are what we crave at this time of year. Beef? Pork? Mac and cheese? Nope; a bowl full of greens garnished with tomatoes and onions and whatever else strikes our fancy.

And after our trip to the Northwest, I can see that I would value a tomato even more in those environs. The growing season starts much later and it takes even longer to develop a ripe fruit. By comparison, our plants seem to explode with growth.

And speaking of blogs, I have been helping our pastor with her blog; one that details her adventures in Guatemala. When she is not studying, she uses an internet café in the city of Quetzaltenango to create her posts and she sends me the photos so that I can post them from this end of the world. Odd; but when I search for “Quetzaltenango” using Google, the majority of the high relative hits is for Spanish language schools. And that is what she is doing in Guatemala, taking a Spanish “immersion” course.

No comments:

Post a Comment