Saturday, July 15, 2006

Nuts!

Saturday; and though it is still dark enough to see the stars, I can already hear the first bit of chatter from the birds. I wonder what kind of birds they are? And do we have any rare birds in this area? I have to admit that ever since I began reading Julie Zickefoose’s blog, I have looked at birds a little differently. I suppose I’m not too old to learn a few new things. (Of course not!) I don’t want to become an expert “birder”; I just want to be able to identify the ones common to this area. Question: Can you own a cat and still be considered a bird lover? Oh, sure…as if anyone ever “owned” a cat!

Speaking of cats, I hear Boo bumping around in the area outside the study window? What is she doing? And looking out that window, I can see the bats flying, silhouetted against the silver sky as they seek out the last few mosquitoes before they retire for the day. I’m sure glad they live in that old barn next door. We have seen very few mosquitoes this year and I don’t even bother with mosquito repellant these days. That was a mistake though, when we were at Denise’s house in Durham the other day. I was nailed twice by the pests in just a few minutes. Of course Durham has a reputation for growing some of the biggest and meanest mosquitoes in Butte County.

Now I have read some more mosquito facts and I’m thoroughly bummed! I had read once that mosquitoes won’t fly much above 8’ and now I read that isn’t so…in fact, the page of facts dismissed most of my thoughts about mosquitoes, including the one about the bats!

No comments:

Post a Comment