Friday, August 25, 2006

Back in the old days

Speaking of health care and I wasn’t until now…I have noticed a disturbing trend in the field of medicine. The patient has become so empowered that he or she has assumed the role of the doctor. Where did this come from? It’s already quite obvious that we’re supposed to take our prescription drug preferences to our doctor and insist that we need them. Why else would the pharmaceutical companies target me, a layperson, with big $$$ ads? And the doctors go along with it; probably on the advice of their lawyers. Doctors don’t tell you what you need anymore; they give you all of the options and then let you decide. My new doctor asked if he could interest me in a colonoscopy. What? He is supposed to tell me that it’s something I should have. My interest, pro or con, should have no bearing on the matter. That’s why I went to a doctor…to be told what to do by a professional. Apparently I will have to use all my powers of guile to convince the doctor to make a decision…

Remember the saying, “The lawyer who defends himself has a fool for a client.”? How about, “The patient who pretends to be a doctor…is a fool.” But what do you do these days when the doctors don’t have the courage that they used to have? Bring back the good old days!

No comments:

Post a Comment