Saturday, September 30, 2006

Coffee...Please!

If you looked at my Shortlaps blog, you already know that we’re in Portland once again. We got in yesterday after a safe and somewhat boring trip. The most exciting portion was in the downtown area where I saw the skyline filled with tower cranes…my favorite sight!

But there was one odd object on the skyline that I couldn’t identify. A large and very tall (200’+) silver tower that had a network of cables attached to it. I was driving, so there was no way for me to take time to identify its purpose. This morning I tried using Google and searching for the words “Portland skyline”, but it only netted me thousands of scenic postcard type photos and none of the mysterious object. I must find out what it is!

On another subject; coffee…the small pot provided by the hotel isn’t enough for the two of us and so I got dressed early (6:30) and headed out to find a good cup of coffee. The goal was to avoid Starbuck’s if at all possible. Right across the street from the hotel was a likely looking shop, but not open on Saturdays till10? What are they thinking? I kept going, and going…and going further in my quest. I saw a Seattle’s Best shop and decided to try that. Yes, it’s owned by Starbuck’s, but I really wanted my coffee. Sorry, closed till 8.

Here I am; downtown Portland and it’s almost 7 in the morning and I can’t get a cup of coffee? I finally gave in and went up a block and over two to find the only coffee shop open. Starbuck’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment