Wednesday, September 27, 2006

No Water!

The weekend is rapidly approaching. And that means that the first of a pair of marathons will be on tap for Sunday morning. We’re driving to Portland on Friday and will be in downtown Portland traffic, looking for our hotel at just about the time for the local rush hour! Not a good scenario but the only one available…unless we start driving north about 3 in the morning and that doesn’t sound like much fun.

We have had an interesting week as Laurae was picked to serve on a jury in a Superior Court case. Luckily, it was a simple case and was over and done with in less than two days. And to top off the final day of deliberations, the jurors were given souvenir coffee mugs and pens with the Glenn County Superior Court logo on them. These lovely items were all stamped, “Made in China”. That’s a first for me; I have served on a few juries, but I was never given a coffee mug in return! I wonder how they describe those items in the county budget?

Glenn County has a muck-raking newspaper, the Sacramento Valley Mirror, and I’m surprised that they haven’t spent some time and energy reporting on the local courts. Maybe they have and I just missed it. I can only take so much of that paper before I begin to gag a little. But their website did have a link to Eagle Lake trout fishing reports…now that’s handy!

Although it’s Wednesday, the irrigation season is over with early this year and I won’t have to make the hike up to the canal. Oddly enough, I was called by the ditch tender and told that the water allotment for the year had been used up and if I wanted more water I would have to go to the district office and pay for it…ahead of time? No thanks!

That message made me look in my Journal to see when I stopped irrigating last year and it might have been a few weeks later, it always depends on the dropping of the walnuts. We have a few neighbors that sell their walnuts and once the nuts start to drop from the trees, they don’t want any flooding around the trees. And while I was browsing last year’s entries, I did see that pecans and pomegranates didn’t become ripe until the end of October.

Very cool! I used CraigsList.com yesterday to advertise for a wanted overhead projector. And this morning I received an e-mail from someone in the UK that had one for sale and needed my postal info for a quote on delivery charges. But…along with the e-mail, came a warning from CraigsList that most out of country offers are scams. And since the e-mails have to come through their servers, they are able to scan them and attach the warning notes. A great use of technology. And a good reminder that not all is as it seems…

No comments:

Post a Comment