Sunday, September 10, 2006

The War At Home

I was just reading an account of the secret prisons that Bush and Co. have been using and of the growing divide between the F.B.I and C.I.A on the use of torture. First, Bush denies ever using “torture”, yet he does say that the C.I.A. did use “approved” methods. Approved by whom? The Department of Justice lawyers of course; those are his own lawyers and not a court. And the F.B.I. said (through unnamed sources) that they disapproved of the C.I.A. methods and came close to calling it torture. Both agencies now refuse to comment any further…

And from what I have read, whatever “method” the C.I.A used was not successful as the prisoner didn’t have the information to begin with.

I find it simply amazing that Mr. Bush can claim Christianity as a shield for his actions. What did Jesus say that allows him to act as he does? I don’t want to ever doubt anyone’s faith, but I usually find their actions speak louder than their words of piety and that’s where the truth of their faith is revealed.

Now the subject of Dick Cheney is a different matter altogether. He doesn’t pretend to be a man of strong faith; except in himself. And now, five years later, he appears to be losing some power. “Mr. Cheney’s friends and former aides said they were mystified about how the same man who as defense secretary in 1991 warned that “for us to get American military personnel involved in a civil war inside Iraq would literally be a quagmire” managed, 15 years later, to find himself facing that prospect.”

Good question. Will Mr. Cheney answer it?

No comments:

Post a Comment