Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hardly Used

The new day has begun in its usual fashion, with a full cup of coffee and a little browsing through the news while the cat pesters me to play.

I also spend time working on the Plant Barn website; looking for just the “right” graphics and the perfect layout. I’ve been browsing the News Groups for clip art and have found some good stuff there. And I downloaded a limited use (free) version of Coffee Cup software to put it all together with. But I think I need to look around for a better HTML editor; my programming skills have eroded somewhat and the technology has moved ahead without me. Who knew?

Dreamweaver is probably the best of the best when it comes to HTML software, but do I need that? If I could find it at a bargain price, I might be tempted…but then I remember that it is an Adobe product and so it will be less than friendly to use if I remember correctly. A thought; wouldn’t it be great to be able to buy genuine “used” software as easily as you buy a used car? You would still need a license, so the developer is still in the loop and that would be fair. Maybe I should look a little harder?

Well, I Googled “used software” and I see what appears to be some sleazy deals… the prices are ridiculously low and it seems that you have to download the software; no physical product at all. And at the same time I found a news clip that said a German court had agreed with Oracle that used software was illegal to sell. In other words, when you buy software, you only buy the right to use it; not sell it. So why don’t they call it “leasing”? That is what it is… and I can see where this leads to software piracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment