Friday, October 20, 2006

Yawn

I just went for a short stroll in the backyard, in the dark, to see what kind of day awaits us. There was no wind and it was warmer than I expected; 63° and that’s warm for late October. The moon has almost disappeared from the sky but there were plenty of stars to see. Amazing!

Back inside and seated in front of my monitor, I have a much smaller view of the universe and to my surprise…on my Google homepage I see a quotation from A. Einstein, “When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about.” He was right of course. Looking at those stars will almost always remind you of your proper place in this world.

The Google homepage; my homepage…the one I designed; has all sorts of oddities on it, including moon phases and Joke of the Day. With all of the options available, I’m surprised I don’t have more odd things on it. Try it, you might like it…

On another note; this morning I am browsing the blog of Julie Zickefoose, where she has a great lesson in watercolors. Then, in her blog from Wednesday, I see that she is one of those people that are wide awake at early hours…as I am. She attributes it to "sleep maintenance insomnia." Let me Google that one.

Apparently, "sleep maintenance insomnia." (22,300 hits) is another one of those old age complaints. Darn! Although I have been waking up like this for a long time; even before I was “old”, probably for 20 years or more. I don’t see it as a problem and I certainly don’t want to take drugs for it. Ms. Zickefoose also blames her insomnia on an overactive mind. I have one of those as well, but I sort of like it… (Define “overactive”?) this reminds me of a story I read yesterday, where an established author wrote that “writers” must write every day, even when their writing isn’t all that good; they must write. And that’s me. Whenever I am on the trail around Bidwell Park, doing the monotonous chore of training, I am usually composing stories in my mind.

2 comments:

  1. 63*?!? That sure must be nice! Most mornings here have been 31*, or lower. This morning I think it may have been in the upper 30's by the time I left for work, it took only 7 minutes to defrost my windshield, rather than the normal 15 minutes.

    I also use my personalized Google as my homepage, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, 63 degrees and now it's in the 80's. We just bought ice cream at Raley's...

    I think most people would be amazed at what can added to a Google home page. You can drill down through their site and just keep finding odd things to add.

    ReplyDelete